|Post Office||1850-1860, 1862-1864, 1867-1903|
Located on the Chariton River, 23 miles northeast of Carrollton, south of Hwy HH
Col. W. W. Compton started the town in Section 16 near Grand River, which was known as Little Compton
On October 16, 1869 Lewis Comer platted the town in Section 20. This town consisted of 6 blocks of 3 lots each, each lot being 69 by 160 feet.
For years this was the only town or post office in Hurricane Township. It died after the railroad was built.
Little Compton was just a crossroads with a couple of stores and a mill. The stores sat on the farm that is now owned by Donnie Lyons . Albert Reed Bowers owned the mercantile store and his farm was located a couple of miles down the road down near the Grand River.
Compton Township was in the northeastern part of Carroll County and was only about 1/3 the size of a full township. Named after Colonel William W. Compton who was one of the earliest settlers and established a ferry across the Grand River and became a popular crossing of westward bound emigrants. He settled an area and named it Little Compton, and even though a town was never developed a small village did emerge nearby and was known as Little Compton here lived only about a dozen families."
Also down by the Grand River was a ferry crossing and it was here during the Civil War that a skirmish between the two armies.
Richard's mother was born 1908 in Hale where her father was a barber before he moved on to Carrollton & opened up a business with a partner there that was a hardware store & barber shop. That building now houses Dicksen's. Linda Hansen