|located in the southeast corner of the county on 24 east of 411
named for DeWitt Cllinton, former Governor of New York
population (1899) was 600
platted as "Elderpost" in the early days, then called DeWitt, then in 1851 changed to Winsor City, then changed back to DeWitt
Eli Guthrie was the original organizer of the town. In 1837 Guthrie gave up his interest to Henry Root, who continued to sell lots.
located on the Missouri River and Kansas City Branh of the Wabash Railroad, 17 miles east of Carrollton.l
John Jones located in 1821 where the town now stands. Jonathan Eppler had the only residence. Eppler established a landing place on the Missouri river, which was known as Eppler's Landing. John Milligan located in 1831, built a house and opened the first stock of goods.
In 1851 the town site was bought by a company called the DeWitt Town Company and the city was changed from DeWitt to Winsor City in honor of one of the trustees.
On July 8, 1856, the town was incorporated under the name "Winsor City", later re-incorporating as DeWitt
It had a school, church, saw mill, stave factory, large-sand stone yards, a hotel, a weekly newspaper (The Farmer's Herald), and about a dozen stores and shops